Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Feb 1, 2012- Intro/Frank Yerby

It's February again. So that means it's Black History Month. Now I know someone is going to say "I'm (your're) Black/African-American/Negro, etc everyday not just in February. It's the shortest month of the year anyway..." (Cue Kanye West). No need to shout sugar, I hear you and you're right. But since we were given this month to highlight/observe US and to (hopefully) start a year long conversation(s) and history lesson(s) about how intelligent, awesome, influential, and fly we are. So just like I did last year, I am going to hip my readers to some people you may or may not have heard of.



First up is Frank Yerby. He was a best-selling author with his first book The Foxes of Harrow (1946). The book sold over one million copies. It was the first novel by an African-American to be purchased by a Hollywood studio and it was made into a film in 1947. After the unexpected success of his first novel Yerby settled in Madrid, Spain, and went on to write more than thirty historical novels, most of which became best sellers. Yerby died in 1991. His work lives on.


No comments:

Post a Comment