Friday, February 24, 2012

Here comes the Judge...

Hey fam,
 Let me first apologize for falling off on my BHM duties. Somehow I became consumed with other things and neglecting my blog. I know we don't have that many days left in February so I may just take this on into March. I know that 's Women's History Month but it's my blog and I make the rules. I have some other rants/raves to share with you but I'll save those for another day.
With that said let me hit you with the BHM moment of today.

In 1939, Jane M. Bolin became the First African American Woman Judge in the United States. She was assigned by the Mayor to the Domestic Relations Court of the City of New York. She became a lawyer after being influenced by her father, Gaius Bolin (who was the first black graduate of Williams College). After graduating from Wellesley College, she entered Yale Law School where she was one of two African Americans and one of three women. After completing her law degree, she joined her father's practice. Ms. Bolin was also the first black woman to join the New York City Bar Association. She remained on the Domestic Relations Court, now known as the New York Family Court for nearly forty years leaving at the mandatory retirement age of 70. Bolin died in 2007 at the regal age of 98.




No comments:

Post a Comment