Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Feb 9- Danitra Vance





If you're like me then you love to laugh. One of the best ways to do this is by watching the weekly sketch show Saturday Night Live. BUT I have noticed that the show is lacking some sisters of that look like me. I began to wonder, had they ever had one. In my research for BHM I found that SNL did have one regular cast member that mirrored my skin. Her name was Danitra Vance. She was apart of the cast from 1985-1990. Danitra struggled with being typecast as hookers and maids on the show. After leaving the show she performed in a critically acclaimed one-woman show The Radical Girl's Guide to a Radical Mastectomy. This told of her experiences with the disease. Sadly she passed away in 1993 at the age of 35. Although she had a short life she broke open a door for others to follow in her courageous and funny footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment